Amelia Earhart was one of the most famous aviators of the 20th century. Students will read a passage about Amelia Earhart and her influence on the history of aviation. Students will answer questions about author’s purpose, main idea, cause and effect, making inferences, and arguments and claims.
Reading Comprehension Passage
Reading Comprehension Questions
Each of the vocabulary words below are used in the reading passage. As you read the passage, pay attention to context clues that suggest the word’s meaning.
Using context clues from the sentences in the passage, underline the correct meaning of the word in boldface.
1) "Because of her determination, she became a world-famous pilot."
a. personality b. intelligence c. conviction or resolve d. navigation ability
2) "Included in her accomplishments was being the first person to fly from Hawaii to California."
a. successful acts b. intentions or plans c. dreams d. disappointments or failures
3) "All of these achievements opened opportunities for women in aviation."
a. airplane cockpit b. an oppressed time c. employment d. science of aircraft flying
4) "No one ever found their bodies or the ultimate cause of their deaths."
a. mysterious b. eventual or final c. criminal d. unusual
5) "Though Earhart died, her legacy of freedom"
a. effect on or gift to the future b. belief in c. concern about d. writings