Sometimes the best way to help yourself is to help someone else. This is the lesson Lucy learns when she meets someone who is as homesick as she is. Students will read and analyze the passage to answer questions on theme, details, and character progression.
Reading Comprehension Passage
Reading Comprehension Questions
Each of the vocabulary words below are used in the reading passage. As you read the passage, pay attention to context clues that suggest the word’s meaning.
Using context clues from the sentences in the passage, underline the correct meaning of the word in boldface.
1) "they travel where the investigation takes them"
a. travel itinerary b. climate or environment c. study, research d. spirit or inclination
2) "Lucy’s parents had to attend a conference in Berlin"
a. laboratory b. award ceremony c. planning session d. formal meeting or convention
3) "Sometimes I just sit with a bunch of fidgety strangers"
a. disgusting b. restless, nervous c. noisy, loud d. old, elderly
4) "all waiting to audition for the same insurance company commercial"
a. tryout, interview b. broadcast, transmit c. purchase, buy d. compose, write
5) "She returned to the living room where Lucy was and pulled out a box of embroidery."
a. small cakes b. needlework, decoration with thread c. ivory game pieces d. torn clothes
6) "I spent quite a while learning English and looking for employment"
a. a place to live b. an open office c. hobbies or interests d. work, a job
7) "An Ha came from a culture very different from the one she was immersed in now."
a. involved deeply, submerged b. conversed c. observing, taking note d. experimenting
8) "An Ha began rifling through the embroidery box."
a. shooting b. shaking gently c. quickly searching d. packing fully