Sweet Country Air
Students will read a story about a boy who visits his aunt’s ranch and learns a lesson about hard work. In the process, he learns more about himself. Students will answer questions about character, plot, and identifying the lesson.
Reading Comprehension Passage
Sweet Country Air
Reading Comprehension Questions
Each of the vocabulary words below are used in the reading passage. As you read the passage, pay attention to context clues that suggest the word’s meaning.
Using context clues from the sentences in the passage, underline the correct meaning of the word in boldface.
1) "Eduardo rummaged around in his backpack, searching for his cell phone."
a. tossed or threw b. curled up or cuddled c. jumped or danced d. hunted or dug
2) "He was tired of Aunt Letty rambling on and on about her chickens, goats, horses, and cows."
a. working endlessly b. strolling c. talking aimlessly; chattering d. painting; drawing
3) "Worse, he was dreading having to spend spring break at Aunt Letty’s ranch."
a. fearing; anticipating the worse b. looking forward to c. planning on d. running away from
4) "Phrases such as 'watching too much TV,' and 'too much texting' were swirling around in his head."
a. lying b. twisting or rolling c. messing; clowning d. pushing
5) “Well, we’ve got a nice mellow horse I think you’ll like."
a. light golden brown b. young male c. small; petite d. gentle; calm
6) "The afternoons were filled with hauling hay"
a. raking b. putting into a pile; stacking c. transporting; carrying d. selling
7) "Aunt Letty stretched her arms out and inhaled"
a. breathed in b. relaxed; let go c. screamed or yelled d. hugged fondly
8) "She marched into the stables with conviction"
a. criminal intent b. determination or confidence c. warm food d. anger; dismay
9) "Hercules lowered his enormous head"
a. ugly; repulsive b. horse-like c. huge; very large d. sweet and pleasant
10) "She stroked Hercules on his long, silky muzzle and offered him an apple"
a. front of an animal's head; nose b. ears c. mane d. back; withers