Marco has wanted to climb the tall tree in his front yard for years, but he is feeling nervous about trying it on his own. Will he ever make it to the top? Students will read the passage and answer follow-up questions about the language, the plot, and the theme.
Reading Comprehension Passage
by Elizabeth Trach
Reading Comprehension Questions
Each of the vocabulary words below are used in the reading passage. As you read the passage, pay attention to context clues that suggest the word’s meaning.
Using context clues from the sentences in the passage, underline the correct meaning of the word in boldface.
1. “The tall tree had one large branch that stuck out towards his front porch”
a. rope; cord b. roof or cover c. wooden ladder d. limb of a tree
2. “Marco grabbed the strong branch with his hands”
a. shook or rattled b. caught; grasped c. patted or tapped d. hit; smacked
3. “He only put one leg onto the branch and wriggled his body until his belly was on top of the branch.”
a. stopped; paused b. giggled or laughed c. wiggled; squirmed d. lifted or raised
4. “He only put one leg onto the branch and wriggled his body until his belly was on top of the branch.”
a. lower leg b. stomach c. wrist; lower hand d. back
5. “he rested his back against the trunk and let his legs dangle over either side of the strong branch”
a. hang or swing b. work; struggle c. hold or clutch d. push; press