The Olympics Games capture the whole world's attention every four years. Students will read a passage about the history of the Olympics and will answer questions about main idea, making inferences, author’s point of view, context clues and word choice.
Reading Comprehension Passage
Reading Comprehension Questions
Each of the vocabulary words below are used in the reading passage. As you read the passage, pay attention to context clues that suggest the word’s meaning.
Using context clues from the sentences in the passage, underline the correct meaning of the word in boldface.
1) "Looking back in time a few millennia"
a. hundreds of years b. thousands of years c. moments d. thousands of miles
2) "Games in recorded history took place in 776 BC on the ancient plains of Olympia"
a. dry and flat b. fertile; green c. popular d. very old
3) "Athletes competed in running, long jump, shot put, javelin, boxing, and equestrian events"
a. horseback riding b. team c. swimming d. sewing
4) "These ancient games coincided with a religious festival"
a. conflicted; opposed b. happened at the same time c. began d. ended
5) "Though linked to the cult of Zeus, in reality, the aim of the games was more secular."
a. interesting b. unusual c. important d. nonreligious; not religious
6) "The intent was to show off the physical strength of the youth"
a. purpose; aim b. order; requirement c. beginning; start d. consequence
7) Their intent is to showcase the strength and talents of the world’s best athletes
a. develop; improve b. create c. focus on; highlight d. applaud; congratulate
8) "The games were cancelled three times due to global conflicts."
a. military b. worldwide c. governmental d. regional
9) "connecting the Third Reich to the grandeur of ancient Olympia was a good idea"
a. history b. character; likeness c. greatness; magnificence d. importance
10) "Because of the massive devastation of World War II"
a. huge; widespread b. recent c. regretful; tragic d. nearby; close