Informative Writing Prompts
Welcome to our informative writing prompts! In addition to creative writing, another way to stretch our minds and skills as writers is to consider the benefits of fact-based, informative writing. How can we educate, inform, and help those around us by completing research and/or sharing what we know? Use the categories of “Poverty,” “Health and Well-Being,” “Quality Education,” “Sustainable Communities,” “Life on Land and in Water,” and “Global Partnerships” to embrace the magic of writing. Writers are encouraged to plan and review their work. Keep in mind that some prompts may demand contextualization depending on the learner’s background and needs.
Informative Writing Prompts
Category 1: Poverty
Poverty is an issue that affects millions of people worldwide; it is important to think about the causes and solutions. We can work towards creating more equitable local and global communities. This set of writing prompts offers writers an opportunity to reflect on poverty and its implications.
- Brainstorm images and words that come to your mind when you hear the word “poverty” or “poor.” When have you heard this word before?
- Create a poster about ways to help people who are less fortunate.
- Write a newspaper article about a group of people who created a plan to help people in their community.
- Design an infographic to show the statistics of poverty in your city, state, or country.
- Write a persuasive essay about ways individuals and governments can help reduce poverty.
- Write a research paper about the causes and effects of poverty in your state.
Category 2: Health and Well-Being
Health and well-being are fundamental to our overall quality of life. Environmental factors and access to mental health support can promote greater awareness and understanding of this critical issue. This set of writing prompts offers writers an opportunity to reflect on health, well-being, and its implications.
- Draw a picture of a healthy brain. What does it look like? What does it think about?
- Write a short story about a child who learns how to take care of their body and mind.
- Create a poster with tips for staying healthy during cold, snowy winters.
- Write a research paper about the importance of mental health and the risks and consequences when support is not provided or available.
- Design an infographic about the benefits of physical activity.
- Sleep is an essential part of well-being. Create an agenda or list that shows people what a healthy bedtime routine might look like.
Category 3: Quality Education
Quality education is a fundamental right that can help break the cycle of poverty and promote greater social and economic mobility. Together, we can create more equitable and effective educational systems. This set of writing prompts offers writers an opportunity to reflect on access to quality education.
- Draw a map of your school (or create a list of places in your school) that you feel make it a good and helpful school for everyone.
- Interview someone in your class who has gone to school somewhere else. Think about what’s the same and what’s different. If you have moved between different schools, explain how the schools you’ve been to are different from one another.
- Write a short story about a child who learns something new at school.
- Write a persuasive essay about the need for equal access to education.
- Write a report or newspaper article about two students in the same grade who go to different schools and have different experiences.
- Write a research paper about the importance of quality education in society.
Category 4: Sustainable Communities
Sustainable communities are essential for preserving our planet’s natural resources. This set of informative writing prompts offers writers an opportunity to reflect on sustainable communities and how their practices can help our world flourish.
- Define the word “sustainable”
- Write a short story about a group of friends who work together to make their community more sustainable.
- Create a poster with tips for being environmentally-friendly all year round. Offer one suggestion for each season.
- Write a research paper about the importance of sustainable business practices. Research businesses that are notoriously unsustainable and offer solutions.
- Design an infographic about the benefits of renewable energy sources.
- Write a persuasive essay about the importance of reducing waste and conserving natural resources.
Category 5: Life on Land and in Water
Life on land and in water can help us better understand the complex relationships between humans and the natural world. We can create greater awareness and understanding of the importance of preserving our natural resources. This set of writing prompts offers writers an opportunity to reflect on the natural world and its implications.
- Create a poster with tips for protecting wildlife in your community. Focus on animals of all kinds–small and large!
- Draw a picture of your favorite animal in its natural habitat. How can you respect the animal’s natural habitat and keep it safe?
- Write a short story about a day in the life of an animal. What does the animal need to survive? How can humans help this animal?
- Create an infographic about environmental protection groups in your community.
- Design an infographic about the effects of pollution on different kinds of environments–you can focus on the ocean, landforms, urban/ rural spaces, and more.
- Write an informative essay about a social media influencer who uses their platform to promote environmental protection awareness. Are they successful in this endeavor? Why or why not?
Category 6: Global Partnerships
Global partnerships are essential for addressing the complex challenges that impact and face our world today and in the future. This set of informative writing prompts offers writers an opportunity to reflect on the importance of forging connections with people from all over the globe.
- Create a poster with a message about the importance of empathy and understanding.
- Draw a picture of two very different people holding hands and greeting each other in different languages.
- Write a short story or essay about two people who become friends despite their differences.
- Design an infographic about the effects of globalization. Choose one company that has gained power due to globalization.
- Write a newspaper article about a school who seeks to include all cultures through curriculum, extracurricular clubs, and special events.
- Write a research paper about the social, political, and economic benefits of cooperation and communication.