June Writing Prompts
Our June writing prompts are below! The month of June brings much inspiration to writers of all ages and backgrounds. Use these creative writing category prompts, designed specifically for the month of June, to generate original responses about Father’s Day, the summer solstice, graduation, upcoming vacation plans, and more. Responses to these prompts can vary in genre. Writers are encouraged to use rich detail and language, as well as all steps of the writing process (brainstorming, drafting, revising, and polishing), as best suited for their goals as a writer. Keep in mind that some prompts may demand contextualization depending on the learner’s age and needs.
June Writing Prompts
Category 1: Summer Adventures
During the month of June, many people look ahead to summer plans. Let these creative writing prompts help you explore beach days, fun, and time spent relaxing and recharging. This set of creative writing prompts offers writers an opportunity to craft stories, essays, and plans.
- Write a story about a day at the beach, including details about building sandcastles, swimming in the ocean, and enjoying ice cream.
- Draw a picture of your favorite summer activity and describe why you enjoy it.
- Write a plan for three days of vacation to a place of your choice. What do you want to do each day?
- Write a story about a character’s summer vacation to a coldweather location. Include details about why the character is excited to go to this place despite the fact that many people like to visit warm weather locations during this season.
- Write an informative essay about the importance of sun safety.
- Design an informational flyer for teachers and students about the importance of relaxation and rejuvenation during the summer.
Category 2: Father’s Day
During the month of June, we honor fathers for all of the things they do for our families. Let these prompts help you explore various ways to honor fathers in writing. This set of creative writing prompts offers writers an opportunity to make lasting gifts: stories, pictures, poems, greeting cards, and songs!
- Write a story about a special day spent with father, including details about his favorite activities, hobbies, and qualities.
- Draw a picture of your father and write a sentence describing why he is special to you.
- Write a poem expressing your love and appreciation for your father, using rhymes and heartfelt words.
- Create five different “service coupons” or gift cards for fathers. Fathers can use these gift cards for anything they might need help with. ie. “One coupon for someone else to take out the trash.” “One coupon for someone else to do the laundry.” “One coupon for someone else to wash the car.”
- Design a greeting card from a pet to its father. Use a clever inside message from the pet(s).
- Write a funny song for fathers to the tune of “Happy Birthday.”
Category 3: World Oceans Day
During the month of June, people celebrate the importance of our world’s oceans and the critical role they play in the beauty and functioning of our Earth.This set of creative writing prompts offers writers an opportunity to craft stories, reflective entries, essays, and more.
- Write a story about a group of friends going on an underwater adventure to explore the beauty and diversity of the ocean.
- Draw a picture of your favorite sea creature and write a sentence describing why it is special to you.
- Design a flyer or infographic about the importance of oceans and how we can protect them and keep them clean.
- Write a research-based essay on a specific ocean conservation issue, such as plastic pollution or overfishing, exploring the causes, consequences, and possible solutions.
- Write a children’s book about a beach cleanup that has a positive impact on a local community.
- Write about your personal connection to the ocean or another body of water (river, lake, etc). Explain what you appreciate about this natural wonder.
Category 4: Summer Solstice
During the month of June, the summer solstice officially welcomes summer to the world. This event is often celebrated across cultures in different ways. This set of creative writing prompts offers writers an opportunity to welcome summer via story, poetry, essays, and more!
- Write a story about a magical summer solstice adventure, where the sun stays up late and the characters have a unique experience in lasting daylight.
- Imagine a day where there was no nighttime. What would you do with so much sunlight available?
- Write a poem celebrating the arrival of summer and the longest day of the year.
- Write a story about a character’s personal tradition for welcoming summer each year. Why does the character engage in this tradition/ ritual?
- Write a reflective essay on the significance of the summer solstice as a celestial event, exploring its cultural, historical, and symbolic significance.
- Write a reflective piece on the connection between the summer solstice and nature. What impact does the solstice bring?
Creative Writing Category 5: Graduation
During the month of June, many students enjoy graduation and moving up ceremonies. These commencement activities bring much time for reflection and planning ahead. This set of creative writing prompts offers writers an opportunity to make lasting gifts: stories, notes of gratitude, poems, speeches, and more!
- Write a story about a teddy bear who graduates from teddy bear school and goes on to have exciting adventures with his friend.
- Draw a picture of yourself graduating from school and write a sentence or two about what you are looking forward to in the next grade.
- Write a thank you note to your teacher, expressing your gratitude for their guidance and support throughout the school year.
- You are a speaker at your graduation. Write a speech to inspire and motivate your fellow graduates as they embark on the next chapter of their lives.
- Write a letter to your future self, reflecting on your accomplishments in school and your aspirations for the future.
- Write a short story about a group of friends who plan a surprise graduation party for their classmate and all the mishaps that occur while trying to keep it a secret.
Creative Writing Category 6: School’s Out
During the month of June, students, teachers, and other school personnel enjoy a summer reset. Let these creative writing prompts help you explore various ways to celebrate summer being in session. This set of creative writing prompts offers writers an opportunity to make lasting gifts: stories, pictures, poems, greeting cards, and songs!
- Write a story about a group of summer custodians who discover a magical object hidden inside of a student desk.
- Draw a picture of your perfect summer day and write a sentence or two describing what you would do and why it would be fun.
- Create a list of your favorite summer activities, such as swimming, camping, or playing in the park, and write about why you enjoy them.
- Write an article about a group of friends who get jobs at a summer camp for the first time. What skills do they need to learn to be prepared for their summer job?
- Imagine you have just received your report card and are pleased with your grades, but disappointed by others. Write a letter to yourself, reflecting on your academic performance and setting goals for improvement during the summer.
- Design a flyer or brochure suggesting five summer reading books for people your age. Be sure that you include a diverse range of genres and book lengths.