May Writing Prompts
Our collection of May writing prompts are below! The month of May brings much inspiration to writers of all ages and backgrounds. Use these creative writing categories, designed specifically for the month of May, to generate original responses about fragrant flowers, diverse celebrations, springtime weather, trips, animals, and much more. Responses to these prompts can vary in genre. Writers are encouraged to use rich detail and language, as well as all steps of the writing process (brainstorming, drafting, revising, and polishing), as best suited for their goals as a writer. Keep in mind that some prompts may demand contextualization depending on the learner’s age and needs.
May Writing Prompts
Category 1: May Flowers
During the month of May, flowers bloom and color our world in hues that connect us further to nature, time, and space. Let these creative writing prompts help you explore mystical journeys, new perspectives, sensory details, and personification. This set of creative writing prompts offers writers an opportunity to craft stories, poems, and imaginative dialogues.
- Imagine you are a tiny ladybug living in a field of flowers in May. Write a story about your adventures.
- Choose a favorite flower and describe how it looks, smells, and feels.
- Write a story about a springtime picnic adventure with your friends. Where do you go? What do you eat and drink? What do you do for fun?
- Write a story about a botanist who discovers a rare and special flower that blooms only in the month of May. What is the flower called and what makes it special?
- From the perspective of a nearby tree, describe the blooming of a garden.
- Write a story about a ladybug who lives in a florist’s shop.
Category 2: May Celebrations
During the month of May there are many holidays, events, and celebrations. Let these creative writing prompts help you explore Mothers Day, Memorial Day, cultural holidays, happy memories, and poetry. This set of creative writing prompts offers writers an opportunity to craft stories, find inspiration in new cultures, and write poetry.
- Write a letter to your mother, grandmother, or someone else in your life who can be honored on Mothers Day, to tell them why they are the best. What do you love most about them?
- Write a thank you card for a soldier. Tell them how brave and important they are.
- Write a note to a teacher to thank them for the hard work they do. Be sure to tell them why you love their class.
- Cinco de Mayo is celebrated on May 5th in Mexico and America. Write from the perspective of a Mexican-American teenager who helps their tías (aunts) prepare a celebratory feast.
- Write a personal essay about your favorite May celebration or memory, exploring the significance it holds for you and its impact on your life.
- Write a story about a family of children who plan a Mothers Day celebration for their mother and grandmother.
Category 3: May Weather
During the month of May, seasonable weather can bring much inspiration. Let these creative writing prompts help you explore sunny days, a weather forecaster’s surprise discovery, a puppy’s first experience with a rainstorm, a powerful spirit, and a farmer looking ahead to a season of growing. This set of creative writing prompts offers writers an opportunity to craft stories, poetry, and journal entries.
- Write a story about a rainy day in May. How do you still make room for fun while you’re stuck inside?
- Write a poem about a very sunny day in May. What do you see, hear, and feel?
- Write a short story about the insects you see crawling and buzzing around. What colors are they? What are they doing? Where are they? On the ground? In the air?
- Write a story about a Florida weather forecaster who discovers that an unseasonable snow storm will disrupt the city of Miami in the month of May.
- Describe a thunderstorm from the perspective of a puppy named May experiencing it for the first time.
- Imagine a world where the weather in May is controlled by a powerful spiritual force. Write a story that explains how the spirit’s emotions impact the weather.
Category 4: May Travel
During the month of May, the bustle of travel is often in full swing. Let these creative writing prompts help you explore adventure, exotic places, other countries, and even time travel. This set of creative writing prompts offers writers an opportunity to craft stories, letters, postcards, journal entries, and a travel itinerary.
- Write a postcard to a friend or family member describing a trip to the beach. What do you do at the beach? What is your favorite thing about the beach?
- Write a journal entry about a camping adventure. Describe a day of fun activities from sunrise until sunset.
- Imagine you are going on a road trip. Write a list of all the things you would keep in your backpack for your car ride, and why each item is important.
- Describe a fictional destination that is available to travelers only in the month of May. Describe the landscape, creatures, and events that make this destination so exciting for travelers.
- Imagine a time-traveling adventure where a character travels back in time to experience May in a different decade, and write about their interactions with the past.
- Create a travel itinerary (schedule of events) for a group of friends looking to vacation for one week in May in the state of Arizona. What can they see and do?
Category 5: “Hodgepodge” May Topics
During the month of May, let your mind meander through these creative writing prompts. Reflect, explore, research, interview, and ponder! This set of creative writing prompts offers writers an opportunity to write plans, thank you notes, articles, informational pieces, and conduct interviews.
- Write two goals for yourself for the month of May. What are two things you hope you can achieve and why?
- Describe the best way to celebrate a springtime birthday; the celebration can be inside or outside.
- May is the month when National Nurses Day is celebrated. Write a thank you note to a nurse to make them feel good about the work they do!
- Write an article about a couple who is celebrating a twenty-year wedding anniversary in the month of May.
- Research advice related to planting a small garden. Create an infographic that helps interested growers understand where to get materials, how long constructing a garden might take, how to maintain a garden, and one helpful online resource they can use.
- Create a spring advertisement for a summer blockbuster film. Be sure to include visuals and a short paragraph that explains what the movie is about without giving away too many details.
Category 6: Springtime Animals
During the month of May, animals are extra active! This set of creative writing prompts offers writers an opportunity to write stories and create infographics about local flora..
- Write a story about a bear who wakes up from a long winter nap. How does the bear feel to be awake again after a long winter nap?
- Write a short story about a lamb or bunny’s life in the spring.
- Choose a bird and make it magical. Imagine that as the bird flies around, it sings a song. What song does it sing and why?
- Write a short story from the perspective of a fish who suddenly sees a family of bears fishing in the stream it’s swimming in.
- Create a brochure or infographic about four trees native to your area. Add pictures and describe the look of each tree.
- Write a short story about a tree in a park who enjoys seeing the many visitors play in its shade and play on a tire swing attached to one of its branches.