In the Neighborhood
Students will read a story about two girls from very different backgrounds who become friends. Students will answer questions about plot, narrative point of view, drawing conclusions, and cause and effect.
Reading Comprehension Passage
In the Neighborhood
Reading Comprehension Questions
Each of the vocabulary words below are used in the reading passage. As you read the passage, pay attention to context clues that suggest the word’s meaning.
Using context clues from the sentences in the passage, underline the correct meaning of the word in boldface.
1) "Ahn vigorously scrubbed windows, a tedious necessity for her family's new Vietnamese restaurant"
a. carefully b. with great force; energetically c. slowly; lazily d. angrily; crossly
2) "Ahn vigorously scrubbed windows, a tedious necessity for her family's new Vietnamese restaurant"
a. tiresome or dull b. costly; expensive c. pretty or attractive d. required by law
3) “They had turned the building from homely to gorgeous”
a. cozy; like a home b. acceptable or satisfactory c. casual; informal d. ugly or unattractive
4) “a girl about her age, with abundant red hair”
a. brownish b. put into a bun c. bright; glowing d. large quantity; full
5) “Ahn hesitated, not accustomed to initiating friendship”
a. pledging; promising b. beginning or starting c. having; making d. foreign
6) “Gabriela beckoning to her with a plate covered with transparent plastic wrap”
a. throwing; tossing b. explaining c. gesturing with invitation; signaling d. offering
7) “opened the door with a cordial greeting”
a. shy or bashful b. friendly; welcoming c. traditional; classic d. brief or quick
8) “the room with its picturesque landscape mural”
a. charming or pleasant b. framed c. surreal; dreamlike d. painted or drawn
9) "'I intend to design a publicity pamphlet'"
a. might; should b. have been asked or instructed c. plan; aim d. be unable or unfit
10) “she was going to enjoy life here immensely”
a. very much; tremendously b. soon; quickly c. reasonably d. forever; eternally